Here are 5 random facts to improve your foot knowledge this April
Happy Foot Awareness Month!
1. The average person will walk around 115,000 miles in a life time, that’s more than four times around the earth! The average person takes 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day, which adds up to about 115,000 miles over a lifetime.
2. Fingernails and toenails grow faster during hot weather, pregnancy and teenage years.
3. Cigarette smoking is the biggest cause of Peripheral Vascular Disease (disease of the arteries of the feet and legs) which often leads to pain on walking, ulceration, infection and in the most severe cases – gangrene and possible amputation.
4. The record for the world’s largest feet belongs to Matthew McGrory who wears US size 28 1/2 shoes. The average men’s size is 10 1/2.
5. Walking barefoot can cause plantar warts. The virus enters through a cut.